Q: Do you take exotics?
A: We do not not tend to exotic pets but there are some clinics in town that do that we can refer you to if needed.

Q: What should I do if my pet has an emergency after you’ve closed for the day?
A: If you have an emergency after hours we recommend contacting the Pet Emergency Center at 954-726-0998, located at the Northeast corner of McNab Road and University Drive ( in the D.D.’s Discount Plaza). If your pet is in a critical state however, we recommend taking them to the nearest 24 hour facility. It is also our recommendation that you research an emergency hospital number to have on hand before an emergency arises.

Q: What is the best form of flea prevention?
A: There are a wide variety of flea preventions that are both safe and effective. Of utmost importance, we recommend products only sold by licensed veterinarians and that you always check with a veterinarian before administering any product to avoid toxicities and allergies.

Q: At what age should I spay/neuter my dog or cat?
A: We recommend spaying or neutering your dog or cat between the ages of 5 to 6 months. Spaying before the first heat cycle in a dog or cat lessons their chances of mammary cancer which increases with each subsequent heat cycle.

Q: What do I do if my dog has ticks?
A: We recommend hiring a professional to treat the environment for ticks. We also recommend that you consult with a veterinarian on which product or products are safe for your pet, and what they would recommend. As with flea prevention, we only recommend products sold by a licensed veterinarian. It is important to know though that all animals as well as the environment must be treated, if not, only 50% of the problem is being treated.

Q: What is a Bufo Toad and what should I do if my dog is exposed to one?
A: A Bufo toad is a toad found in our tropical region that produces venom on its skin when threatened. Most animals, especially dogs, are poisoned by licking the toad. Increased salivation and pawing at the mouth are the two most common symptoms observed after ingestion of the toxin. Immediately rinse the pets mouth out with a hose with the pets head directed downward to prevent additional toxin absorption. As soon as the pets mouth is rinsed out, take the pet to your veterinarian. Even though your pet may seem fine after exposure, there may be subtle signs that your vet can pick up on during a physical exam that you may not. Bufo poisons can be fatal if not treated appropriately.

Q: How much food should I feed my dog?
A: The amount of food your dog should be fed depends on a variety of factors. The variety of food, your dog’s physical activity and your dogs current body condition all determine the amount your dog should be fed. A general rule of thumb to maintain body weight is 1 cup per 30 lbs twice daily.

Q: How much food should I feed my cat?
A: A general rule for feeding cats is give 1/4 cup of food twice daily.

Q: My dog/cat has bad breathe, what should I do about it?
A: If your pet has bad breath, chances are it’s due to tarter build up and/or gingivitis. Once tarter has built up, the only way to remove it is by having ultrasonic dental scaling performed, the same as if we have our teeth professionally cleaned. There are some internal diseases that can also lead to bad breath. Oral tumors, or oral ulcers due to kidney failure and ketone production due to diabetes are a few examples of these.

Q: What is a safe way to transition my pet onto a new diet?
A: To transition your pet onto a new diet, begin by mixing 25% of the new food with 75% of the old food for 5-7 days. As long as no vomiting or diarrhea develops, begin mixing 50% of the new food with 50% of the old food for another 5-7 days. Finally, mix 75% of the new food with 25% of the old food and gradually transition to 100% of the new food.

Q: How often should my pet be tested for heartworms?
A: Pets should be tested annually for heartworms. Administering heartworm medication to a pet who may be heartworm positive could lead to an anaphylactic reaction or possibly even death.

Q: When should I start giving heartworm prevention?
A: There are heartworm medications that can be administered to pets as young as 6 weeks of age. Ask your vet as soon as you bring your pet in for his or her first exam.

Q: Is chocolate really dangerous for my pet?
A: Chocolate is toxic to pets. It can result in changes in the heart rate and rhythm, cause excitement, seizures and possibly coma. The degree of toxicity depends on the type of chocolate, the amount consumed, and the size of the pet. Any time a pet ingests chocolate, a veterinarian should be consulted.

Q: How often should I bathe my dog and what should I use?
A: Your dog should be bathed once weekly to every other week with an oatmeal based shampoo unless your veterinarian recommends differently. It is not necessary to use a flea and tick shampoo since any shampoo will kill fleas.

Q: How often should I clean my dogs ears?
A: Your dogs ears should be cleaned once weekly to every other week with an agent that is made for cleaning pet’s ears.

Q: Do I have to bathe my cat?
A: Bathing a cat is more of an issue of preference. Occasionally it may be recommended to have a cat bathed to remove flea eggs or debris. It is strongly advised to only use an oatmeal shampoo or shampoo recommended by a veterinarian. There aren’t any over the counter flea shampoos recommended for use on cats.

Q: Should I have medical insurance for my pet?
A: It is always recommended to have pet insurance for your pet for any unforeseen illness. Some insurance companies also offer plans that cover annual routine services and vaccines. There are many pet insurance companies out there, therefore we recommend consulting with your veterinarian about which company and policy fits you and your pet. Just like human medical insurance there are wide variations on how and what plans cover.

Q: My dog likes eating poop, what should I do, and is it a problem?
A: It is possible your pet could be continually being exposed to a variety of intestinal parasites if it eats its or another pet’s stool. There are products available through your veterinarian that can help curb the behavior.